Being a mom is hard work. Physically, mentally and emotionally draining and challenging. But there are many good things as well. In honor of Mother’s Day on Sunday, I’m focusing on some of the blessings.
Thirteen Things I have truly enjoyed so far in my time of being a mom to my two little boys.
1. Seeing both of them for the first time during the ultrasounds, hearing their heartbeats, and feeling them move.
2. Of course all the milestones...first smiles, rolling over, sitting up, first steps, first words, etc.
3. Giggles and hugs, and hearing "I love you Mommy"
4. Seeing the sense of pride Brendan gets when he figures something new out on his own
5. Watching Adam do his little dance every time he hears music, it makes me smile and laugh every time.
6. Taking them on little trips to experience fun things...the cave, camping at the river, zoo, vacations, etc. Brendan still talks about all of them months (and years for a few of them) later, he will bring them up out of the blue and say, "Mommy, remember when we went..." "That was fun! Can we go again?" I love it that these fun family times have left an impression on him.
7. Being able to bring joy and happiness to them by doing simple things such as a hug, a smile, reading a book, playing a game, and just spending time with them.
8. Going to the movies. Yes it’s true, I love to go to the movie theater, even if it’s to see kids’ movies, so I’m delighted that Brendan loves it too. Sometimes I take a few hours off work and pick him up early to take him to see the latest kid movie.
9. Last year as part of his birthday gift, I took Brendan to see "Dragon Tales Live!". It was the cutest show with neat light effects, and Brendan and I had a great time together. I truly did enjoy it, and it was awesome to see Brendan have such a good time.
10. Watching them interact and play with each other. Brendan can sometimes get Adam laughing so hard that it makes me laugh and pretty soon none of us can stop laughing.
11. The look on Adam’s face when I go in to get him up in the morning or when I pick him up from the babysitter after work...his face lights up when he sees me and he rushes to me. And likewise when I pick Brendan up from preschool and he says "Mommy!!!" and runs up to me to give me a hug. It’s so nice to feel wanted and loved :)
12. Works of art created especially for me ;)
13. Seeing, enjoying, and participating in parts of life that I never would have known about if I didn’t have any kids.