Friday, January 04, 2008

Getting Organized in 2008

As I mentioned in my previous post, my goals for 2008 are focused around ORGANIZATION!!! Organization in many areas and ways...House, car, office, scrapping, time, activities w/ the family, meals, thoughts, plans, visits w/ friends & family, and so on. Just taking one thing at a time and figuring out how to best organize it and make it work with my life. Some organization are of "things" others are more abstract.

I'm not setting any strict time table for these, nor am I setting specific things that will be done, I'm just going to be focused on taking things a little at a time. Just so long as things are better at the end of the year than they started, that will be success in my mind.

First thing is the basement and getting it prepared for the remodel. We made pretty good progress on New Year's Day considering the limited time we've had. We got a double set of shelving moved out of the basement to the garage, and another double set (these are huge wood shelving sets that were packed full with all sorts of miscellaneous junk collected over the years) emptied and moved to another part of the basement and re-loaded with tubs of our camping stuff (all together and neat, not strung all over the basement in various places where we never know where things are like they were). We also emptied a third set of double shelving that was built in the middle of the room and we tore that shelving apart and removed it completely (since a wall will need to go there when we make the laundry room). We went through a LOT of boxes of stuff we haven't even looked at in years, and we threw out a lot of stuff, set stuff aside to freecycle, and organized the things we did want to keep into plastic tubs & bins and everything will be put with like items grouped together on the shelving like they should have been in the first place.

We have a very long way to go, but it's a start at least. I am going to be keep track of our progress on things throughout the year here on my blog. I think that will help keep me motivated to keep going, even if things seem to go slow. I have to keep enough motivation to not only keep myself going, but to keep lighting that fire under Joe to get busy too. That's the difficult part. He would put all of this off another 5 years if I'd let him. lol

So, if you're interested in watching our progress on all sorts of organization, keep checking back for updates :) I'll even have embarrassing "before" pictures- ugh!

So, what are your goals for 2008?

2 comments:

3XMom said...

Are you doing your basement yourselves? We did it about 3 years ago and it was one of the best things we ever did! SOOOO great.

Veronika said...

I'll check back to see the progress pictures; it sounds like fun!
It's such a rewarding feeling of accomplishment when one takes on a task such as this.
Glad that you are giving your old things away on Freecycle. You are paying it forward!
I read your previous post about the resolutions you set for last year, and you did good! You should be proud of your accomplishments! Go you!
:)