Friday, July 25, 2008

Amount Spent on Groceries Per Week?

I saw this article on MSN today, and it kinda confirmed what I suspected…that we apparently spend way less than most typical families on groceries each week.
(Click HERE to see article)

This article makes it sound as if $100 per week is a huge challenge and practically unheard of for a family of 4. We spend approximately $120-$170 per week at Super Wal-Mart, but that is not just groceries. That includes all of our other Wal-Mart needs/supplies too! So, I’m pretty sure that once you subtract the other non-grocery items each week, that we do spend right around $100 per week on actual groceries. And yet we are still feeling like we spend too much and looking for ways to cut. So now I’m curious, what *do* most families spend per week on groceries? Anyone willing to share?

1 comment:

Mama of 2 said...

I allot $125 a week for groceries and that too includes non-food items. Most weeks we don't spend the entire amount especially if I am menu planning from freezer/pantry stock.
When there is a surplus of money in the grocery budget we normally put that towards a weekend day where we can eat out. I figure it's basically the same it's money for food no matter if I prepare it or someone else does.