Friday, March 10, 2006

Almost the weekend...


...and it's not just any ol' weekend, it's almost my birthday weekend! Woohoo!!! Yes, I get a whole weekend, not just 1 day :) True, my actual b-day isn't until Tuesday, but I'm taking off Monday & Tuesday so I have a 4-day weekend. As I was leaving for work this morning, I told my husband that at 5pm when I leave work today, it will officially be the start of my birthday weekend. He laughed and said, "that's funny, most people only get a birthDAY, but you always have a birthday WEEKEND." Yep! He's got it! All year long I take care of everyone else, my birthday is when I demand to celebrate me. LOL!

Growing up my parents always made a big deal out of my birthday (and my sister's too of course). My mom would spend months planning our birthday parties and everything would always have a theme, depending on what we were interested in at the time. It was just awesome. She would decorate the house with balloons and streamers and various other decorations in our "theme". There would be colorful plates and napkins and cups, and a centerpiece on the table to match. Party games would go along with the theme too. And she would go way overboard on gifts as well. Every year was different. Sometimes it would be at home, sometimes at the roller skating rink, sometimes at the bowling alley, sometimes horseback riding party, and then the best ones when the parties were sleepovers and the fun lasted all night long! She really made us feel so special (every day of the year, but especially on our birthdays!) So I blame (thank) her for my obsession to make sure I enjoy my birthdays, even now that I'm an adult. lol And probably why I get so disappointed and hurt on the years that hubby doesn't do anything for my birthday, some years not even a card.

BUT, he has been getting better lately (he remembered to get me a couple Christmas gifts this year), and I happen to know that he's got something planned for this year's birthday- my 30th! Yippee!!! So, I am just itching to get out of work today...is it 5:00 yet? No? Only 4 more hours to go. I started laundry last night, and will finish it up tonight so that I do NOT have to worry about laundry this weekend. Tomorrow we are going to (a city I won't mention) and "eating lunch with hubby's brother and his fiance". That's code for "surprise party for me!" LOL! Ssshhh...I'm not supposed to know about that.

On Sunday I'm going to a scrapbooking crop with my sister and friends. 6 hours of kid-free time for me, woohoo!

On Monday, Joe is thinking about taking off too. If he does, then we might finally go get a family photo taken. Ugh! Have mixed feelings about that. We really need to, the last family photo we had done was when Brendan was 1 yr old. He's now 5. And poor little Adam has never been in our family photo yet. So we really need to. But, I'm dreading it because I still can't get over the fact that I still have 20 lbs to loose after having 2 kids. I hate to have "proof" of this in a photo that lasts forever. LOL! But, maybe I can get over that...maybe...I'll have to do some self-convincing. If the pics look too horrible, we don't have to buy any, right? We could always try again in a few months when I've lost more? *sigh*

Then, maybe we'll drop the boys off at daycare for part of the day, and go see a movie. I love to watch movies in the theater. I don't know why, I just do. But every year, I am reminded that March is usually a terrible month for movies. I really can't decide what I want to see.

Then on Tuesday, my actual birthday, I will have the day to myself. Joe will be at work, the boys will be at daycare, and I will have the whole day to myself. I haven't decided what exactly I'll do that day yet. But I love time alone, I crave it, so it really doesn't matter what I do, I will enjoy it.

Just curious, what would you do with a day to yourself???

So, anyway...if I'm not blogging much the next four days, then you know I'm having fun celebrating! Hope everyone has a great weekend :)

14 comments:

Melzie said...

Only a couple more hours to go Courtney! :) A day to myself-- I would scrap, read, paint, turn the stereo up loud. Enjoy your big weekend! Can't wait to hear all about it!

Write From Karen said...

The family portrait - here's a hint (I've done this in the past, lol) place the kids in FRONT of you so they block unwanted bulk. *grin* Seriously, this works! lol

And a day to myself? Oh wow...that's a toughie - I think I would pack a picnic lunch, grab a book and veg at the lake. Probably shopping if it was rainy.

Have a WONDERFUL birthday weekend and ENJOY your day off! (And thanks for playing my Internet Scavenger Hunt!)

Laura said...

and as my birthday WEEK draws to a close it is time to ramp up and celebrate Courtney!!!!!!
woot!!!!
you go girl!!!!
Here's to an amazing happy week to youu too....us mamas deserve and require a week to celebrate so take the extra days!
Enjoy!

Katherine said...

Happy Birthday! Have a great time at your suprise party, lol. My husband actually celebrates my entire "birthweek". Gotta love it!

MaR said...

I am sure you are enjoying your bday-weekend!! have a great bday, can't wait to hear all you've done!

Veronika said...

Enjoy your special weekend. Sounds as if you had some great birthday memories growing up. Hmmm, if I had a day to myself...and money? I'd probably spend it at the library.
:)

Laura said...

Happy birthday to you
happy birthday to you'happy birthday dear Courtney
happy birthday to you!!!

Frauke said...

Happy Brithday from Germany! Laura sent me. Hope your day is FABULOUS!!

Frauke

clew said...

Hey Courtney! HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Froggy sent me ;)

Don't party too largely!

XOXO Clew

Melzie said...

Happy birthday!!!!

MaR said...

happy birthday, now it's official!! will remember your bday, Mr. Mar and I met 22 years ago. When you were a child! Now that makes me feel old, but not you, young lady :)

Lala's world said...

Happy Birthday.....here cuz Laura sent me!!
cheers!

Kimmy said...

Happy (belated) 30th Birthday!!!!!!

Jamie the ParkHopper said...

Happy Birthday!
(Laura sent me)